Located on top of the volcano Guanapay in a prominent position of the old capital Teguise is a castle that can be seen from miles around. The tower was built in the fourteenth century by Lancelotto Malocello. Although this historic building is pretty small, this was the the start of reforms and extensions by Captain Gasper Salcedo and Leonado Torriano from 1571 until 1596 when it was completed. The castle was later abandoned.
In 1991 it was transformed into a museum concentrating on emigration to America from the island for people forced to leave by hunger. Displayed were letters, passports and maps and other memorabilia from hard times. Now the exhibition is dedicated to pirates and their invasions.
The views from the castle are spectacular