UK: 03300 88 5786 & IRL: (01) 5314740

A lot of people do not realise that the you can still use a Health card while abroad. many thought this had finished with Brexit but that is not the case. You will still need to have travel insurance to cover for all eventualities but the GHIC is good to have and bring with you.

The UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) lets you get state healthcare in Europe at a reduced cost or sometimes for free.

If you have a UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) it will be valid until the expiry date on the card. Once it expires, you’ll need to apply for a GHIC to replace it.

How to apply

You can apply for a GHIC on the NHS website.

It’s free to apply for a GHIC on the NHS website but be careful, as some other websites charge to help you apply – these are unnecessary and you do not need to use them.

You’ll need to provide your:

  • full name
  • address
  • date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • Health and Care number (Northern Ireland)